Xen 4.5-rc1 update (RC1 is out 2014-Oct-24th)
k***@oracle.com
2014-10-24 18:08:43 UTC
Feature patchsets that did not make it in by today have been put
on the deferred list. If you think your feature should make it in Xen 4.5-rc2
please make your case.

Xen 4.5-rc1 is out today. There are some issues (see 'Known Issues' below)
which are to be fixed in RC2. The official test-day is on Wednesday (Oct 29th)
but if you want to start testing it today - please do!

Details for the test-day are at

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_4.5_RC1_test_instructions

In terms of bugs, we have:

#6 linux: pv drivers miss shutdown command if issued too early
#8 "linux, xenbus mutex hangs when rebooting dom0 and guests hung."
#11 qxl hypervisor support
#13 Re: [Xen-devel] man page example: xm block-attach
#18 xl improve support for migration over non-sshlike tunnels
#19 xl migrate transport improvements
#22 xl does not support specifying virtual function for passthrough device
#23 Remove arbitrary LIBXL_MAXMEM_CONSTANT from libxl, see what breaks
#24 xl missing support for encrypted VNC
#27 Re: [Xen-devel] xend vs xl with pci=['<bdf'] wherein the '<bdf>' are not owned by pciback or pcistub will still launch.
#28 support PCI hole resize in qemu-xen
#30 libxl should implement non-suspend-cancel based resume path
#36 credit2 only uses one runqueue instead of one runq per socket
#38 Implement VT-d large pages so we can avoid sharing between EPT
#40 linux pvops: fpu corruption due to incorrect assumptions
#42 "linux, S3 resume of PVHVM fails - missing call to xen_arch_post_suspend?"
#43 "30s delay loading xenfb driver on some systems"
#44 Security policy ambiguities - XSA-108 process post-mortem

And we should start closing them if they are fixed.

= Timeline =

We are planning on a 9-month release cycle. Based on that, below are
our estimated dates:

* Feature Freeze: 24th September 2014
* First RC: 24th October [Friday!] <==== <WE ARE HERE>
* RC2: Unknown. Need to talk to maintainers on scheduling.
* RC2: Unknown. Need to talk to maintainers on scheduling.
* Release: 10th December 2014

The RCs and release will of course depend on stability and bugs, and
will therefore be fairly unpredictable. The feature freeze may be
slipped for especially important features which are near completion.

Bug-fixes, if Acked-by by maintainer, can go anytime before the First
RC. Later on we will need to figure out the risk of regression/reward
to eliminate the possiblity of a bug introducing another bug.

= Prognosis =

The states are: none -> fair -> ok -> good -> done

none - nothing yet
fair - still working on it, patches are prototypes or RFC
ok - patches posted, acting on review
good - some last minute pieces
done - all done, might have bugs

= Feature freeze exception =

Remember our goal for the release:
1. A bug-free release
2. An awesome release
3. An on-time release

Accepting a new feature may make Xen more awesome; but it also
introduces a risk that it will introduce more bugs. That bug may be
found before the release (threatening #3), or it may not be found
until after the release (threatening #1). Each freeze exception
request will attempt to balance the benefits (how awesome the
exception is) vs the risks (will it cause the release to slip, or
worse, cause a bug which goes un-noticed into the final release).

The idea is that today we will be pretty permissive, but that we will
become progressively more conservative until the first RC, which is
scheduled for 3 weeks' time (October 25). After that, we will only
accept bug fixes.

Bug fixes can be checked in without a freeze exception throughout the
code freeze, unless the maintainer thinks they are particularly high
risk. In later RC's, we may even begin rejecting bug fixes if the
broken functionality is small and the risk to other functionality is
high.

Features which are currently marked "experimental" or do not at the
moment work at all cannot be broken really; so changes to code only
used by those features should be able to get a freeze exception
easily.

Features which change or add new interfaces which will need to be
supported in a backwards-compatible way (for instance, vNUMA) will
need freeze exceptions to make sure that the interface itself has
enough time to be considered stable.

These are guidelines and principles to give you an idea where we're
coming from; if you think there's a good reason why making an
exception for you will help us achieve goals 1-3 above better than not
doing so, feel free to make your case.

= Open =

== Known issues ==

* Systemd integration
Affects CentOS7, SLES12, Fedora Core 21 and Debian Jessie. Xen source contains systemd files that can be used to configure the various run-time services. In the past the distributions would carry their own version of it - but now we host them. This is not yet complete - [[http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-10/msg03064.html patches]] for this are being worked on for RC2.
- Wei and Olaf

* Stubdomains build issues
stubdomains will not build. Fix is in staging (and will make RC2) or [[http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-10/msg02925.html stubdom/Makefile should use QEMU_TRADITIONAL_LOC]]
- Michael Young

* Building against libxl (outside code)
If you are building against libxl for any APIs before Xen 4.5 you will encounter building errors.
- Andrew Cooper

* Migrating large Windows guests can cause WMI service to hang
Patch is in 'staging' and will be in RC2.

* pygrub parsing grub1 problems ==
pygrub (Python code) has problems parsing grub.cfg file and hence cannot boot PV guests.

* xc_reserved_device_memory_map in hvmloader to avoid conflicting MMIO/RAM (good)
v6
Treating pieces as bug-fixes only.
- Tiejun Chen

== Linux ==

* Linux block multiqueue (ok)
v3 posted.
- Arianna Avanzini

* VPMU - 'perf' support in Linux (ok)
Depends on Xen patches
Acked by David Vrabel
- Boris Ostrovsky

* vNUMA in Linux (ok)
v6 posted
git://gitorious.org/vnuma/linux_vnuma.git
- Elena Ufimtseva

* vsyscall in Linux (fair)
- Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

* COLO Agent in Linux (fair)
- Gui Jianfeng
- Yang Hongyang
- Dong, Eddie

* vAPIC in PVHVM guests (Linux side) (none)
- Boris Ostrovsky

* Fix PAT in Linux kernel (aka Full support for PAT) (good)
Acked and reposted for v3.18. Waiting for x86 maintainers.
- Juergen Gross

== FreeBSD ==

* PVH FreeBSD dom0 (ok)
FreeBSD 11 goal. Toolstack side done in Xen 4.5
- Roger Pau Monné

== Other OSes (MiniOS, QNX) ==

* PV drivers for automotive kernels (fair)
- Artem Mygaiev

* mini-os: xenbus changes for rump kernels (ok)
git://xenbits.xen.org/people/iwj/rumpuser-xen.git
branch: base.dev-xen-xenbus.v1..dev-xen-xenbus.v1
v2 posted
- Ian Jackson

== GRUB2 ==

* GRUB2 multiboot2 (fair)
- Daniel Kiper

== OSSTEST ==

* OSSTest: libvirt (good)
- Ian Campbell

== Deferred to QEMU v2.next ==

* Using qemu-upstream in a stubdomain (fair)
Will use rump kernels.
- Ian Jackson

* AMD Radeon PCI GPU passthrough (none)
Focusing on Xen 4.2 and qemu-traditional
- Kelly Zytaruk

* Intel IGD PCI GPU passthrough (ok)
v5 posted
- Chen, Tiejun

* Xen PV block driver in OVMF (UEFI in guest) (ok)
v1
- Anthony PERARD

== Deferred to Xen hypervisor 4.6 ==

* Xen Boot Information (xbi) (ok)
Dependency for GRUB2 + EFI work
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-10/msg02068.html
v4, No go for full patchset. Only some of the patches.
No ARM EFI hardware (yet) available to test them.
- Daniel Kiper

* PVH - AMD hardware support. (fair)
Posted.
- Mukesh Rathor

* VMware backdoor (hypercall) (ok)
v5 posted.
- Don Slutz

* extending mem_access support to PV domain (fair)
RFC v2
- Aravindh Puthiyaparambil (aravindp)

* Repurpose SEDF Scheduler for Real-time (fair)
RFC patch posted (v2)
- Joshua Whitehead, Robert VanVossen

* ARM remote processor iommu module (GPUs + IPUs) (fair)
v3 posted
- Andrii Tseglytskyi

* dirty vram / IOMMU bug (fair)
http://bugs.xenproject.org/xen/bug/38
- Zhang, Yang Z

* Xen multiboot2-EFI support (fair)
Needed for GrUB2
Depends on Xen Boot info (rework multiboot and other structs)
See http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-05/msg02281.html
RFC posted
- Daniel Kiper

* Support controlling the max C-state sub-state (ok)
v3 posted
- Ross Lagerwall

* IOMMU ABI for guests to map their DMA regions (fair)
- Malcolm Crossley

* Default to credit2 (none)
cpu pinning, numa affinity and cpu reservation
- George Dunlap

* Convert tasklet to per-cpu tasklets (fair)
RFC posted
- Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

* Further tmem cleanups/fixes (16TB etc) (fair)
- Bob Liu

* 1TB slow destruction (ok)
- Bob Liu

* ARM VM save/restore/live migration (none)
Need to rebased against migrationv2 - no code posted.
- Junghyun Yoo

* ARM GICv2m support (none)
- Linaro (unknown)

== Deferred to Xen toolstack 4.6 ==

* vNUMA in Xen toolstack (ok)
v11 posted
Hypervisor part in
git://gitorious.org/vnuma/xen_vnuma.git:v11
- Elena Ufimtseva

* pvscsi in libxl (fair)
- Juergen Gross and Olaf

* COarse-grain LOck-stepping Virtual Machines in Xen (fair)
RFC v3 posted, based on remus-v19
- Wen Congyang
- Gui Jianfeng
- Yang Hongyang
- Dong, Eddie

* extend the xenstore ring with a 'closing' signal (fair)
RFC patch posted
- David Scott

* New Migration (v2). (good)
v7 (libxc and libxl)
git://xenbits.xen.org/people/andrewcoop/xen.git
Seems that it might need to slip or we run v1 alongside v2.
- Andrew Cooper & David Vrabel

* libxl migrationv2 patches. (none)
- Andrew Cooper & David Vrabel

* tmem migrationv2 patches. (none)
- Bob Liu & Andrew Cooper & David Vrabel

* Remus using migration-v2 (fair)
RFC posted - depends on v6 of 'New Migration'
- Yang Hongyang

* snapshot API extension (checkpointing disk) (ok)
v5
His email bounces.
- Bamvor Jian Zhang

* Rearrange and cleanup installation destination directories (/var -> var/lib/xen) (fair)
- Daniel Kiper

* libxl/xl - xm compatibility mode for mem-max and mem-set; (ok)
- Daniel Kiper

* xl list --long (and some related xl commands) have some bugs (none)
- Zhigang Wang

* Xen HPET interrupt fixes (fair)
behind migration v2
- Andrew Cooper

* cpuid leveling (none)
http://xenbits.xen.org/people/andrewcoop/feature-levelling/feature-levelling-D.pdf
- Andrew Cooper

* live migration knobs, there is no suitable code yet, just ideas (none)
http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-03/msg00785.html
- Olaf Hering

* xl does not handle migrate interruption gracefully (none)
If you start a localhost migrate, and press "Ctrl-C" in the middle, you get two hung domains
- Ian Jackson

* IO-NUMA - hwloc and xl (none)
Andrew Cooper had an RFC patch for hwloc
add restrictions as to which devices cannot safely/functionally be split apart.
- Boris Ostrovsky

* HVM guest NUMA (none)
- Matt Wilson

* PVH - Migration of PVH DomUs. (none)
Depends on migration2 code
- Roger Pau Monné

* PVH - Migration of guests from a PVH dom0 (none)
Depends on migration2 code
- Roger Pau Monné

* "Short" grant copy (just header) of packets. (none)
- Zoltan Kiss

== Deferred to Linux's after Xen 4.6 ==

* ARM - Device assigment usage in Linux code (arch/arm) (none)
Depends on Xen pieces which are on the Xen 4.6 list.
- Julien Grall

* Linux ARM - Device assigment (fair)
- Julien Grall

== Up for grabs ==

* OSSTest - also test Linux PVH guests

* PoD fixes
if you boot with memory <= maxmem we have a size estimation bug

* TLB flushing without locks in Xen

* xl does not support specifying virtual function for passthrough device
http://bugs.xenproject.org/xen/bug/22

* PCI hole resize support hvmloader/qemu-traditional/qemu-upstream with PCI/GPU passthrough
http://bugs.xenproject.org/xen/bug/28

* libx{c,l} error handling cleanup

* Adding missing 'xend' features in libxl

* xl list -l on a dom0-only system

* xl list -l doesn't contain tty console port

* xl: passing more defaults in configuration in xl.conf
There are a number of options for which it might be useful to pass a default in xl.conf. For example, if we could have a default "backend" parameter for vifs, then it would be easy to switch back and forth between a backend in a driver domain and a backend in dom0.

* PVH - PVH working with shadow.
Based on Tim's work

* PVH - PCI passthrough for DomU.

* AMD performance regressions

* Performance due to hypercall preemption. More preemptions - slower. (none)

== Completed ==

== Hypervisor ==

* ARM - introduce GNTTABOP_cache_flush (ok)
v11
- Stefano Stabellini

* ARM - VGIC emulation (done)
Reposted as gic and vgic fixes and improvements
v12
- Stefano Stabellini

* ARM implement mem_access (done)
v12, two patches for Xen 4.6
https://github.com/tklengyel/xen/tree arm_memaccess_12-for-4.5
- Tamas K Lengyel

* ARM - Add Odroid-XU (Exynos5410) support (done)
v6
- Suriyan Ramasami

* ARM GICv3 support (done)
v11 posted
- Vijay Kilari

* ARM implement mem_access (done)
v12, two patches for Xen 4.6
https://github.com/tklengyel/xen/tree arm_memaccess_12-for-4.5
- Tamas K Lengyel

* ARM - MiniOS (done)
v7 posted
- Thomas Leonard

* ARM XEN_DOMCTL_memory_mapping hypercall for ARM (done)
v12 posted.
- Arianna Avanzini

* ARM - XENFEAT_grant_map_11 (aka map grants refs at pfn = mfn) (done)
Provide kernels an grant->MFN lookup
v4
- Stefano Stabellini

* ARM PSCI v0.2 (done)
v11 posted
- Parth Dixit

* ARM - IOMMU support (done)
- Julien Grall

* ARM Interrupt latency reduction (no maintenance interrupts) (good)
- Stefano Stabellini

* ARM DRA7 support (done)
v3 posted
v3 with comments applied
- Andrii Tseglytskyi

* ARM: Use super pages in p2m (done)
v5 posted
- Ian Campbell

* ARM Xen UEFI booting on ARM (done)
v5
- Roy Franz

* VPMU - 'perf' support in Xen (good)
v14 posted
Need reviews/final ack.
- Boris Ostrovsky

* Cache QoS Monitoring - hypercalls (done)
Just hypercalls - no toolstack changes.
v15
Hit a snag with rdmsr/IPI/wrmsr/IPI, possible redesign
- Chao Peng, Dongxiao Xu, and Shantong Kang

* XenRT (Preemptive Global Earliest Deadline First) (done)
v3
- Meng Xu

* Introspection of HVM guests (done)
v10, split out in for 4.5 (smaller subset)
- Razvan Cojocaru

* alternative_asm in Xen (done)
- Feng Wu

* SMAP (done)
- Feng Wu

* Re-write of vHPET (done)
aka hvm/hpet: Detect comparator values in the past
- Don Slutz

* vAPIC in PVHVM guests (Xen side) (done)
- Boris Ostrovsky

* Xen PVH dom0 (done)
- Mukesh Rathor

* amd_ucode cleanups, verify patch size(enhancement) (mostly in master except one patch)

* Data breakpoint Extension support (new-feat) (in master)

* Feature masking MSR support (enhancement) (in master)

* Support BRCM TruManage chip (Serial over LAN support) (new-feat) (in master)

* fix vmce_amd* functions, unify mce_amd mcheck initialization (fixes/cleanups)

* multiple AMD container files appended together in initrd (early initramfs)
- Aravind and Suravee

* NUMA memory scrubbing (done)
- Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

* ioreq-server, aka secondary emulators (done)
- Paul Durrant

* Soft affinity for vcpus (was NUMA affinity for vcpus) (good)
v11 posted
- Dario Faggioli

* HT enabled, virtualization overhead is high (Xen 4.4) (done)
kernbench demonstrated it
Looking and tracing
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/devel/339409
False alarm.
- Dario Faggioli

== lib{xc,xl} and toolstack ==

* Build systems fixes/improvements (ok)
- Andrew Cooper

* libxl work - JSON to keep track of guest configs (done)
Some patches merged, need to post more.
- Wei Liu

* Remus in Xen (libxl) (done)
v19
url: https://github.com/macrosheep/xen/tree/remus-v19
- Gui Jianfeng
- Yang Hongyang
- Dong, Eddie

* libvirt and xl discard support, so that libvirt can start using it (done)
- Olaf Hering

* OSSTest: upstream QEMU (done)
- Ian Campbell

* rework VM Generation ID (done)
v7 posted
- David Vrabel

* systemd support (done)
v11
- Luis R. Rodriguez

* Soft affinity for vcpus libxl/xl changes (done)
v13 posted
- Dario Faggioli

== QEMU ==

* Bigger PCI hole in QEMU (done)
Needs to be rebased
- Don Slutz

* QEMU 2.0 branch for qemu-upstream (done)
It is v2.0 with 2.1 Xen backports.
- Stefano Stabellini

== Linux 3.18 and earlier ==

* pvSCSI in Linux (fronted and backend) (done)
v6
- Juergen Gross

* Linux PVH dom0 (done)
- Mukesh Rathor

* Netback multiqueue (good)
- Wei Liu

* Linux pvops of Xen EFI hypercall support (done)
- Daniel Kiper
Andrew Cooper
#6 linux: pv drivers miss shutdown command if issued too early
#8 "linux, xenbus mutex hangs when rebooting dom0 and guests hung."
#11 qxl hypervisor support
#13 Re: [Xen-devel] man page example: xm block-attach
#18 xl improve support for migration over non-sshlike tunnels
#19 xl migrate transport improvements
#22 xl does not support specifying virtual function for passthrough device
#23 Remove arbitrary LIBXL_MAXMEM_CONSTANT from libxl, see what breaks
#24 xl missing support for encrypted VNC
#27 Re: [Xen-devel] xend vs xl with pci=['<bdf'] wherein the '<bdf>' are not owned by pciback or pcistub will still launch.
#28 support PCI hole resize in qemu-xen
#30 libxl should implement non-suspend-cancel based resume path
#36 credit2 only uses one runqueue instead of one runq per socket
#38 Implement VT-d large pages so we can avoid sharing between EPT
#40 linux pvops: fpu corruption due to incorrect assumptions
#42 "linux, S3 resume of PVHVM fails - missing call to xen_arch_post_suspend?"
#43 "30s delay loading xenfb driver on some systems"
#44 Security policy ambiguities - XSA-108 process post-mortem
[...]
What is this in reference to? I can't see any patches relevant to
windows in staging.

On the other hand, there is a different issue not listed here.

* Migrating VMs with viridian enabled from older versions of Xen will fail.
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-10/msg02816.html
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-09/msg01053.html
Post by k***@oracle.com
[...]
Already committed, therefore complete.
674ad2be409da77ebda3616085a2f67c72556c11
Post by k***@oracle.com
[...]
Not complete.

Patch 4 is still pending review with regards to a release-ack or not.

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-10/msg01817.html

~Andrew
- Daniel Kiper
Paul Durrant
2014-10-27 08:39:20 UTC
#6 linux: pv drivers miss shutdown command if issued too early
#8 "linux, xenbus mutex hangs when rebooting dom0 and guests hung."
#11 qxl hypervisor support
#13 Re: [Xen-devel] man page example: xm block-attach
#18 xl improve support for migration over non-sshlike tunnels
#19 xl migrate transport improvements
#22 xl does not support specifying virtual function for passthrough device
#23 Remove arbitrary LIBXL_MAXMEM_CONSTANT from libxl, see what
breaks
#24 xl missing support for encrypted VNC
#27 Re: [Xen-devel] xend vs xl with pci=['<bdf'] wherein the '<bdf>' are not
owned by pciback or pcistub will still launch.
#28 support PCI hole resize in qemu-xen
#30 libxl should implement non-suspend-cancel based resume path
#36 credit2 only uses one runqueue instead of one runq per socket
#38 Implement VT-d large pages so we can avoid sharing between EPT
#40 linux pvops: fpu corruption due to incorrect assumptions
#42 "linux, S3 resume of PVHVM fails - missing call to
xen_arch_post_suspend?"
#43 "30s delay loading xenfb driver on some systems"
#44 Security policy ambiguities - XSA-108 process post-mortem
Post by k***@oracle.com
- Andrew Cooper
* Migrating large Windows guests can cause WMI service to hang
Patch is in 'staging' and will be in RC2.
What is this in reference to? I can't see any patches relevant to
windows in staging.
I assume this in reference to http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commit;h=f6a07643e1cc0045c2a8eabb0fb106e8655ce25d

Paul
- Daniel Kiper
Andrew Cooper
2014-10-27 10:01:00 UTC
#6 linux: pv drivers miss shutdown command if issued too early
#8 "linux, xenbus mutex hangs when rebooting dom0 and guests hung."
#11 qxl hypervisor support
#13 Re: [Xen-devel] man page example: xm block-attach
#18 xl improve support for migration over non-sshlike tunnels
#19 xl migrate transport improvements
#22 xl does not support specifying virtual function for passthrough device
#23 Remove arbitrary LIBXL_MAXMEM_CONSTANT from libxl, see what
breaks
#24 xl missing support for encrypted VNC
#27 Re: [Xen-devel] xend vs xl with pci=['<bdf'] wherein the '<bdf>' are not
#28 support PCI hole resize in qemu-xen
#30 libxl should implement non-suspend-cancel based resume path
#36 credit2 only uses one runqueue instead of one runq per socket
#38 Implement VT-d large pages so we can avoid sharing between EPT
#40 linux pvops: fpu corruption due to incorrect assumptions
#42 "linux, S3 resume of PVHVM fails - missing call to
xen_arch_post_suspend?"
#43 "30s delay loading xenfb driver on some systems"
#44 Security policy ambiguities - XSA-108 process post-mortem
Post by k***@oracle.com
- Andrew Cooper
* Migrating large Windows guests can cause WMI service to hang
Patch is in 'staging' and will be in RC2.
What is this in reference to? I can't see any patches relevant to
windows in staging.
I assume this in reference to http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commit;h=f6a07643e1cc0045c2a8eabb0fb106e8655ce25d
Quite, but that is already in rc1, hence the query.

~Andrew
Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
2014-10-27 13:48:52 UTC
Post by Andrew Cooper
#6 linux: pv drivers miss shutdown command if issued too early
#8 "linux, xenbus mutex hangs when rebooting dom0 and guests hung."
#11 qxl hypervisor support
#13 Re: [Xen-devel] man page example: xm block-attach
#18 xl improve support for migration over non-sshlike tunnels
#19 xl migrate transport improvements
#22 xl does not support specifying virtual function for passthrough device
#23 Remove arbitrary LIBXL_MAXMEM_CONSTANT from libxl, see what
breaks
#24 xl missing support for encrypted VNC
#27 Re: [Xen-devel] xend vs xl with pci=['<bdf'] wherein the '<bdf>' are not
#28 support PCI hole resize in qemu-xen
#30 libxl should implement non-suspend-cancel based resume path
#36 credit2 only uses one runqueue instead of one runq per socket
#38 Implement VT-d large pages so we can avoid sharing between EPT
#40 linux pvops: fpu corruption due to incorrect assumptions
#42 "linux, S3 resume of PVHVM fails - missing call to
xen_arch_post_suspend?"
#43 "30s delay loading xenfb driver on some systems"
#44 Security policy ambiguities - XSA-108 process post-mortem
Post by k***@oracle.com
- Andrew Cooper
* Migrating large Windows guests can cause WMI service to hang
Patch is in 'staging' and will be in RC2.
What is this in reference to? I can't see any patches relevant to
windows in staging.
I assume this in reference to http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commit;h=f6a07643e1cc0045c2a8eabb0fb106e8655ce25d
It was.
Post by Andrew Cooper
Quite, but that is already in rc1, hence the query.
Error on my part. Sorry about the confusion.
~Andrew
Boris Ostrovsky
2014-10-24 21:22:14 UTC
Post by k***@oracle.com
Feature patchsets that did not make it in by today have been put
on the deferred list. If you think your feature should make it in Xen 4.5-rc2
please make your case.
= Open =
== Linux ==
* vAPIC in PVHVM guests (Linux side) (none)
- Boris Ostrovsky
I posted a patch a few days ago. Will repost when Andrew's cpuid.h
changes are accepted into Xen.
Post by k***@oracle.com
== Completed ==
== Hypervisor ==
* VPMU - 'perf' support in Xen (good)
v14 posted
Need reviews/final ack.
- Boris Ostrovsky
This will need another spin as there was at least one comment.

I don't know whether this will still be considered for 4.5 in light of
your opening statement.

-boris
Andrew Cooper
2014-10-24 21:25:00 UTC
Post by Boris Ostrovsky
Post by k***@oracle.com
Feature patchsets that did not make it in by today have been put
on the deferred list. If you think your feature should make it in Xen 4.5-rc2
please make your case.
= Open =
== Linux ==
* vAPIC in PVHVM guests (Linux side) (none)
- Boris Ostrovsky
I posted a patch a few days ago. Will repost when Andrew's cpuid.h
changes are accepted into Xen.
Already in. 9d361be3ccbb922ea7f0b8a73a8688f59765fd4c

~Andrew
Fabio Fantoni
#6 linux: pv drivers miss shutdown command if issued too early
#8 "linux, xenbus mutex hangs when rebooting dom0 and guests hung."
#11 qxl hypervisor support
About qxl latest version of libxl/xl support patch is here (also posted
to xen-devel) and should be ok:
https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commit/9d9d0ae23ab3e3e1fcfbb6f3201d3a79f958a7a3
With xen 4.5 qxl vga in windows 7 64 bit domUs seems that works good as
kvm except for a strange problem with xl save/restore.
After restore connecting with spice client domU "freeze" for 2-3
minutes, no errors or warnings visible in logs, I tried many times to
take more informations about the problem and I already posted about it
but for now nothing :(
The only probably useful data are that domU's qemu process when the
problem happen seems still working but domU's timing (from xl list) not
increase. After restore seems do also other strange thing, "freeze" for
2-3 minutes also on windows poweroff.
Another qxl problem is with linux domUs, I tried to find useful data to
solves it for years, I also did many posts about it in xen-devel-
qemu-devel and spice-devel.
On latest tests domU crash (not qemu crash, I already tried qemu
backtrace but seems impossible) on domU's xorg start (with qxl driver
installed) and I'm unable to take useful informations in logs and
various debugs tried.

Any help to solves or at least take more data about it is really much
appreciated.

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.
Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
#6 linux: pv drivers miss shutdown command if issued too early
#8 "linux, xenbus mutex hangs when rebooting dom0 and guests hung."
#11 qxl hypervisor support
About qxl latest version of libxl/xl support patch is here (also posted to
https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commit/9d9d0ae23ab3e3e1fcfbb6f3201d3a79f958a7a3
which is aab4d1b266ce9891a684704f6abf6a5f6b3f7c24 upstrem.
With xen 4.5 qxl vga in windows 7 64 bit domUs seems that works good as kvm
except for a strange problem with xl save/restore.
Could you paste in your guest config please.
After restore connecting with spice client domU "freeze" for 2-3 minutes, no
errors or warnings visible in logs, I tried many times to take more
informations about the problem and I already posted about it but for now
nothing :(
The only probably useful data are that domU's qemu process when the problem
happen seems still working but domU's timing (from xl list) not increase.
After restore seems do also other strange thing, "freeze" for 2-3 minutes
also on windows poweroff.
That sounds like a timing issue. As in something is waiting for something
and we are not triggering it.
Another qxl problem is with linux domUs, I tried to find useful data to
solves it for years, I also did many posts about it in xen-devel- qemu-devel
and spice-devel.
On latest tests domU crash (not qemu crash, I already tried qemu backtrace
but seems impossible) on domU's xorg start (with qxl driver installed) and
I'm unable to take useful informations in logs and various debugs tried.
OK, so Linux is not working at all then?

Actually, let me try it out on my side.
Fabio Fantoni
#6 linux: pv drivers miss shutdown command if issued too early
#8 "linux, xenbus mutex hangs when rebooting dom0 and guests hung."
#11 qxl hypervisor support
About qxl latest version of libxl/xl support patch is here (also posted to
https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commit/9d9d0ae23ab3e3e1fcfbb6f3201d3a79f958a7a3
which is aab4d1b266ce9891a684704f6abf6a5f6b3f7c24 upstrem.
Was applied upstream for 4.3 and after removed because linux domUs
problem was not solved before stable release.
In github I put also a newer version with some improvements.
Post by Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
With xen 4.5 qxl vga in windows 7 64 bit domUs seems that works good as kvm
except for a strange problem with xl save/restore.
Could you paste in your guest config please.
name='W7-02'
builder="hvm"
memory=2048
vcpus=2
acpi_s3=0
acpi_s4=0
vif=['bridge=xenbr0,mac=00:16:3e:42:a2:5f']
disk=['/mnt/vm/disks/W7-02.disk1.xm,raw,hda,rw',',raw,hdb,ro,cdrom']
boot='dc'
device_model_version="qemu-xen"
viridian=1
vnc=0
keymap="it"
on_crash="destroy"
vga="qxl"
spice=1
spicehost='0.0.0.0'
spiceport=6003
spicedisable_ticketing=1
spicevdagent=1
spice_clipboard_sharing=0
spiceusbredirection=4
soundhw="hda"
localtime=1
usbversion=2

winpv installed now and on latest tests:
http://fantu.info/xen/winpv-20141020-free.7z
tried also different versions of james harper's pv with same result
and spice guest tools 0.74 (for vdagent and qxl driver)
[...]
Before "x86_emulate: properly do IP updates and other side effects on
success" patch always black screen and xorg at 100% cpu.
After that commit domU crash after xorg start with qxl driver installed
and I'm unable to take backtrace or useful data about it.
Post by Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
Actually, let me try it out on my side.
Thank you very much for your help.
If you need more informations tell me and I'll post them.
Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
#6 linux: pv drivers miss shutdown command if issued too early
#8 "linux, xenbus mutex hangs when rebooting dom0 and guests hung."
#11 qxl hypervisor support
About qxl latest version of libxl/xl support patch is here (also posted to
https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commit/9d9d0ae23ab3e3e1fcfbb6f3201d3a79f958a7a3
which is aab4d1b266ce9891a684704f6abf6a5f6b3f7c24 upstrem.
Was applied upstream for 4.3 and after removed because linux domUs problem
was not solved before stable release.
In github I put also a newer version with some improvements.
Ah, so this is a new version that had not yet been posted on xen-devel?

It is Xen 4.5 RC1 so I am not too thrilled to put this in the release,
especially as it sounds like there are still problems to figure out first.

Changing the title to reflect this.
[...]
Does SPICE always have to be enabled to use QXL?
soundhw="hda"
localtime=1
usbversion=2
[...]
OK, looking at how the driver is setup - it seems that there is an QXL
KMS driver. If you boot without Xorg running but just with in the console can
you use 'fbset' or any other framebuffer tools (linux-fb-tools)?
That is I am curious to see whether the 'FB' is working properly first
before figuring out whether Xorg is working.
Fabio Fantoni
#6 linux: pv drivers miss shutdown command if issued too early
#8 "linux, xenbus mutex hangs when rebooting dom0 and guests hung."
#11 qxl hypervisor support
Post by Fabio Fantoni
was not solved before stable release.
In github I put also a newer version with some improvements.
Ah, so this is a new version that had not yet been posted on xen-devel?
I always posted all versions of the patch in xen-devel, the latest was long
time ago.
Post by Fabio Fantoni
[...]
Without spice and its driver qxl works only as stdvga.
Without qxl spice is better that vnc to use it as "vkvm", with qxl make
spice very good also to use it from thin client instead of rdp and with
also vdagent and usbredirection is really better (some users exchange it
for a phisical pc^^)
Xen with spice full working on both windows and linux (including
save/restore) used for both vkvm and thin client I think would be perfect.
Post by k***@oracle.com
Post by Fabio Fantoni
soundhw="hda"
localtime=1
usbversion=2
Post by Fabio Fantoni
I'm unable to take backtrace or useful data about it.
OK, looking at how the driver is setup - it seems that there is an QXL
KMS driver. If you boot without Xorg running but just with in the console can
you use 'fbset' or any other framebuffer tools (linux-fb-tools)?
That is I am curious to see whether the 'FB' is working properly first
before figuring out whether Xorg is working.
Some tests ago I tried without xorg to see if kernel parts is ok (advice of
other developer) and seems was ok.
I not tried it on latest test.

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
2014-10-31 14:33:38 UTC
Post by Fabio Fantoni
I always posted all versions of the patch in xen-devel, the latest was long
time ago.
Sometimes you need to poke the maintainers. They (at least
I do) have mailboxes so packed that sometimes emails end up
going missing. But I think their arguments is going to be:
lets figure out what is broken before putting this in the source.

.. snip..
Post by Fabio Fantoni
Post by Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
Does SPICE always have to be enabled to use QXL?
.. snip ..
Post by Fabio Fantoni
Xen with spice full working on both windows and linux (including
save/restore) used for both vkvm and thin client I think would be perfect.
Right. But there is some work needed in that area (figure out what
is happening on Linux).

..snip..
Post by Fabio Fantoni
Post by Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
OK, looking at how the driver is setup - it seems that there is an QXL
KMS driver. If you boot without Xorg running but just with in the console can
you use 'fbset' or any other framebuffer tools (linux-fb-tools)?
That is I am curious to see whether the 'FB' is working properly first
before figuring out whether Xorg is working.
Some tests ago I tried without xorg to see if kernel parts is ok (advice of
other developer) and seems was ok.
What did you test? There is an 'drm-test' tool that was floating around?
(http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm/)

It allows you to run most (if not all) of the Xorg functionality - but
using an tool from user-space - and with much more exposure of what
went wrong.

Could you try the following (without having Xorg in either guest):
1). Boot up your KVM guest, install said tool - run it. Record what
works and what does not.

2). Boot up your Xen guest, and do the same thing.

That should narrow down which of the hundreds' of DRM ioctls is failing
when using spice under Xen. And that ought to help narrow down this further.

I can help you a bit by sending you some debug patches, thought I do
have to warn you that I am under a lot of time-pressure so my response
is not as fast as I would want it to be.
Fabio Fantoni
2014-11-03 11:05:44 UTC
Post by Fabio Fantoni
[...]
I tested only without xorg, just console with drm without particular tests.

I can't find the drm-test tool you mentioned, is it available in debian
and/or fedora repositories an what is it called?
I also did a quick google search and found only something about wayland
and not about X.org.

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.
Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
2014-11-03 16:03:47 UTC
Post by Fabio Fantoni
[...]
I mentioned the URL in the email, but here it is again:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm/

You will need to compile it, etc.
Fabio Fantoni
2014-11-06 15:12:14 UTC
Post by Fabio Fantoni
[...]
Thanks for your reply, sorry for my late reply, I was busy.
I prepared 2 Trusty (ubuntu 14.04) vm minimal for the tests (one on kvm
and one on xen).
Started and both arrive to console login successfull and they have qxl
kernel module active:

lsmod
qxl
drm_kms_helper qxl
drm qxl,ttm,drm_kms_helper

I downloaded compile and installed mesa/drm from git master brach
./configure
make
sudo make install

After I tried to execute the tests binary I found under test but all fails:
sudo ./modetest
no device found.

sudo ./vbltest
failed to load any modules, aborting.

sudo ./kmstest
main: Could not open device (Operation not permitted)

Same result on both xen and kvm.
Seems that there is any module in mesa/drm about qxl even if kernel
modules is present and active and qxl xorg driver use it FWIK.

I did another fast search on google without found how to test qxl drm to
find the difference between xen and kvm.
Someone can tell me what I must do to take useful data about xen and kvm
difference for qxl problem?

I added also spice-devel to cc.

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.
Fabio Fantoni
2014-11-12 10:32:28 UTC
Post by Fabio Fantoni
[...]
Ping...
Is there nobody that can help me please?

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
2014-10-27 16:07:51 UTC
Post by k***@oracle.com
= Timeline =
We are planning on a 9-month release cycle. Based on that, below are
* Feature Freeze: 24th September 2014
* First RC: 24th October [Friday!] <==== <WE ARE HERE>
* RC2: Unknown. Need to talk to maintainers on scheduling.
My thinking was Nov 12.
Post by k***@oracle.com
* RC2: Unknown. Need to talk to maintainers on scheduling.
And Nov 24th for RC3.
* Release: 10th December 2014
manish jaggi
#6 linux: pv drivers miss shutdown command if issued too early
#8 "linux, xenbus mutex hangs when rebooting dom0 and guests hung."
#11 qxl hypervisor support
#13 Re: [Xen-devel] man page example: xm block-attach
#18 xl improve support for migration over non-sshlike tunnels
#19 xl migrate transport improvements
#22 xl does not support specifying virtual function for passthrough device
#23 Remove arbitrary LIBXL_MAXMEM_CONSTANT from libxl, see what breaks
#24 xl missing support for encrypted VNC
#27 Re: [Xen-devel] xend vs xl with pci=['<bdf'] wherein the '<bdf>' are not owned by pciback or pcistub will still launch.
#28 support PCI hole resize in qemu-xen
#30 libxl should implement non-suspend-cancel based resume path
#36 credit2 only uses one runqueue instead of one runq per socket
#38 Implement VT-d large pages so we can avoid sharing between EPT
#40 linux pvops: fpu corruption due to incorrect assumptions
#42 "linux, S3 resume of PVHVM fails - missing call to xen_arch_post_suspend?"
#43 "30s delay loading xenfb driver on some systems"
#44 Security policy ambiguities - XSA-108 process post-mortem
[...]
I am working on Cavium Thunder (ARM64) on this feature.
[Xen SMMU driver changes + PCI passthrough changes in Xen and Linux]
Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
2014-10-31 14:24:03 UTC
Post by manish jaggi
Post by k***@oracle.com
* PVH - PCI passthrough for DomU.
I am working on Cavium Thunder (ARM64) on this feature.
[Xen SMMU driver changes + PCI passthrough changes in Xen and Linux]
Ok, replaced Julien's name with yours. Please make sure
that for the Linux patches you CC xen-devel and the
maintainers (David, Stefano, Boris and me).

Since this is a dual part work - please work first on the Xen
component and get those done before posting the Linux patches.

Thank you!

P.S.
Also to make it clear - I stuck this under Xen 4.6 release time
frame as Xen 4.5 is in RC1 with GM going out in December 10th.
Julien Grall
2014-10-31 14:31:41 UTC
Post by manish jaggi
Post by k***@oracle.com
* PVH - PCI passthrough for DomU.
I am working on Cavium Thunder (ARM64) on this feature.
[Xen SMMU driver changes + PCI passthrough changes in Xen and Linux]
FYI, I'm currently reworking the SMMU drivers to resync with Linux. With
thoses changes, you should not need to modify the SMMU code.
Post by Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
Ok, replaced Julien's name with yours. Please make sure
that for the Linux patches you CC xen-devel and the
maintainers (David, Stefano, Boris and me).
There is 2 distinct passthrough: platform (i.e non-PCI) and PCI one.

While Manish is working on PCI passthrough, I'm still working the
non-PCI one. Please don't drop my name.

Regards,
Julien Grall
Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
2014-10-31 21:01:56 UTC
Post by manish jaggi
Post by k***@oracle.com
* PVH - PCI passthrough for DomU.
I am working on Cavium Thunder (ARM64) on this feature.
[Xen SMMU driver changes + PCI passthrough changes in Xen and Linux]
FYI, I'm currently reworking the SMMU drivers to resync with Linux. With
thoses changes, you should not need to modify the SMMU code.
Thank you for the update. Put your name behind that for 4.6.
Post by Julien Grall
Post by Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
Ok, replaced Julien's name with yours. Please make sure
that for the Linux patches you CC xen-devel and the
maintainers (David, Stefano, Boris and me).
There is 2 distinct passthrough: platform (i.e non-PCI) and PCI one.
While Manish is working on PCI passthrough, I'm still working the
non-PCI one. Please don't drop my name.
I thought that Arianna's patches had taken care of that (the MMIO
part?). Or does each platform need a different implementation of
that?
Post by Julien Grall
Regards,
Julien Grall
Julien Grall
2014-11-01 17:43:57 UTC
Hi Konrad,
Post by Julien Grall
Post by Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
Ok, replaced Julien's name with yours. Please make sure
that for the Linux patches you CC xen-devel and the
maintainers (David, Stefano, Boris and me).
There is 2 distinct passthrough: platform (i.e non-PCI) and PCI one.
While Manish is working on PCI passthrough, I'm still working the
non-PCI one. Please don't drop my name.
I thought that Arianna's patches had taken care of that (the MMIO
part?). Or does each platform need a different implementation of
that?
To passthrough a platform device you need to be able to assign the
device to the guest via the IOMMU and map MMIOs (done by Arianna's
series) and interrupts.

There is also a toolstack part to add the description of the device in
the device tree. See the V2 [1] for more details.

[1] http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-07/msg04090.html

Regards,
Julien Grall
manish jaggi
2014-11-02 06:03:32 UTC
Hi Konrad,
Post by Julien Grall
Post by Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
Ok, replaced Julien's name with yours. Please make sure
that for the Linux patches you CC xen-devel and the
maintainers (David, Stefano, Boris and me).
There is 2 distinct passthrough: platform (i.e non-PCI) and PCI one.
While Manish is working on PCI passthrough, I'm still working the
non-PCI one. Please don't drop my name.
I thought that Arianna's patches had taken care of that (the MMIO
part?). Or does each platform need a different implementation of
that?
To passthrough a platform device you need to be able to assign the device to
the guest via the IOMMU and map MMIOs (done by Arianna's series) and
interrupts.
For a PCI passthrough SMMU ops are to be added. The way the smmu for a
pci device is found needs to be updated in the smmu.c, so there are
some substantial changes to smmu.c for pci passthrough.
Also MMIO mapping code the same pci device to be added.
So in short there changes, and as they are in the same files and
features are also similar, is it possible that we work together may
be julien can provide a design document (simple txt file would do). I
have already shared mine in another mail thread with stefano.
Julien Grall
Julien Grall
2014-11-02 10:17:51 UTC
(Renaming the subject of the thread).
Post by manish jaggi
Hi Konrad,
Post by Julien Grall
[...]
The SMMU drivers in Linux already supports PCI. As I'm currently resync
our driver with this version PCI assignment in the SMMU should come freely.

I expect the only plumbing for the Xen callback and few bugs fixes will
be necessary.
Post by manish jaggi
Also MMIO mapping code the same pci device to be added.
Hmmm? What do you mean? MMIO mapping code is definitely not part of the
SMMU drivers.

IIRC, this should be done by either the toolstack or PCI back in Linux.
Post by manish jaggi
So in short there changes, and as they are in the same files and
features are also similar, is it possible that we work together may
be julien can provide a design document (simple txt file would do).
There is no need of design document for the SMMU drivers. Everything for
DT passthrough is already there.
Post by manish jaggi
have already shared mine in another mail thread with stefano.
Could you send a link to this mail?

Regards,
Julien Grall
manish jaggi
2014-11-03 05:08:18 UTC
Post by Julien Grall
(Renaming the subject of the thread).
Post by manish jaggi
Hi Konrad,
Post by Julien Grall
[...]
we can discuss more on design level. There are changes
Post by manish jaggi
So in short there changes, and as they are in the same files and
features are also similar, is it possible that we work together may
be julien can provide a design document (simple txt file would do).
There is no need of design document for the SMMU drivers. Everything for DT
passthrough is already there.
It would be helpful if you can provide a basic flow.
Post by Julien Grall
Post by manish jaggi
have already shared mine in another mail thread with stefano.
Could you send a link to this mail?
[RFC + Queries] Flow of PCI passthrough in ARM
Post by Julien Grall
Regards,
--
Julien Grall
Julien Grall
2014-11-03 09:52:25 UTC
Post by manish jaggi
Post by Julien Grall
(Renaming the subject of the thread).
Post by manish jaggi
Hi Konrad,
Post by Julien Grall
[...]
What kind of changes? Do you have a tree with them?